Friday, July 17, 2009

Common Courtesy

I was raised that it is just plain polite to say "Good Morning" or the appropriate greeting to people as you pass them. I'm also a reasonably friendly outgoing person, which leads me to this rant:

I'm going to freak out and beat some of the people in my building if they don't start responding. I greet everyone I see in some way. I nod my head if I don't know you at all, kind of a non-confrontational "Hello...I don't know you, but hello anyhow." If I know them, I'll say anything from "What's up?" to "Good morning" to actually greeting them by name. I will sometimes greet people I don't know but see alot, for example people who work in my building, similarly to those I know. "Good morning", etc. is a nice safe greeting.

Unfortunately for me, I work in a building with some very smart, very introverted people. The worst is this one fellow, who upon entering the elevator will stand in the corner. I want to ask him what he did wrong, but I'm sure he wouldn't respond.

Which is the part that drives me right up the wall...if someone greets you or asks a question...respond. I don't care if you grunt, cuss me out, punch me in the face...do something. I'd be happier if you just responded in a verbal fashion, as this avoids undo pain on all parties involved, but at least respond.

Until later...

0 Comments: