Friday, July 17, 2009

Language

Ok...so having grown up as a military brat, my language isn't the best. Particularly when it comes to swearing. I've been the "inspiration" behind some of the baby's most "colorful" statements, which causes Mama no end of fits.

However, I've recently starting running into something that causes physical pain when I see, read or hear it. My lovely wife had the word "totes" on her blog to which I asked "Totes? Really?". She said, "It means totally". She also used the phrase "whatevs"...which I'm fairly certain isn't even a word.

Here is the link from Mirriam-Webster to the word tote, which using the noun form, I could see totes as plural. Note that nowhere does the word totes indicate any possibility of meaning totally.

Now, I understand that the Urban Dictionary indicates several definitions for totes and whatevs, but it would appear from the voting on both, that the majority of people tend to think that these usages are for noofus online chatters of the teen variety. Needless to say, my wife doesn't fall into that category. It is very odd to hear a college educated, certified teacher who specialized in language for elementary education using such language...particularly considering how often she corrects my grammatical faux pas.

Just saying...

1 Comment:

Smoochiefrog said...

You spelled Merriam Webster wrong. :)